Thornburg takes leave for health issues

An era may have come to an end earlier this week as Robert Watts Thornburg, formerly the dean of Marsh Chapel, informed Boston University administrators he would be taking a leave of absence for health reasons.

When reached at his home late yesterday afternoon, Thornburg indicated his days at BU are probably finished. He definitely will not return this semester, he said, and expects to announce his retirement rather than return for the fall semester.

“I am not well,” said Thornburg, 73. Citing “a series of surgeries” in addition to failing eyesight, he said his health made it impossible to go about his job normally. Currently battling neurological bilateral sclerosis, Thornburg said he has undergone three hip replacements and knee surgery, severely hindering his ability to walk.

Thornburg said his leave came so suddenly because until this week he had maintained hope his condition would improve. When it didn’t, he decided to listen to his body and submit his leave to the University.

Last night, Christians celebrated Ash Wednesday beginning Lent, a season symbolized by giving something up for a period of time. Originally scheduled to be delivered by Thornburg, the evening’s masses were given by Rev. Hope Luckie, the assistant dean of the Chapel, who will be assuming Thornburg’s responsibilities for the remainder of the semester. After that, a search will ensue to name a permanent replacement.

Luckie had no comment regarding Thornburg’s legacy last night.

Thornburg became the dean of Marsh Chapel in 1978, spending his time with students of all faiths, merging relationships within the nondenominational chapel and staying available as an open resource counselor for all students.

“The Dean loves his work and spending time with students, assisting them in their individual and collective development,” according to Thornburg’s biography on the University website.

Thornburg is the father of four and the grandfather of eight, and lives with wife, Ann, in the Boston University Parsonage of Brookline.

An ordained United Methodist minister, Thornburg gained national recognition as an activist against the religious organization now known as The International Church of Christ.

Founded in Lexington, Mass., the Boston Church of Christ first reached the BU campus in 1979, meeting in Marsh Chapel. Just a year into his deanship, Thornburg received repeated complaints regarding the group’s recruitment strategies, prompting him to urge leaders of the Church to learn the University’s policies and apply for formal recognition from the school.

The Church’s tactics became so aggressive by November of 1985, the Dean of Students wrote a letter to every student, warning them of being forced to join. At that time, the group decided to file for recognition as an official campus religious group.

Despite their signed agreement, however, the group continued to defy University policies. In June of 1987, Thornburg took his first decisive step in protecting students and removing the Church from campus. Meeting with representatives from the group, Thornburg detailed “consistent and flagrant” violations of the Church’s agreement with the school.

By August of 1987, the Church had not changed their ways, forcing Thornburg to sign a letter addressed to the Church banning members from entering University residences or buildings. The letter expressed clearly that religious freedom would be upheld for both the Church and for BU students, but that Church members were not allowed nor welcome in BU buildings.

Though the Church appealed the decision to the Religious Life Council, the Council sided with Thornburg and praised his decision unanimously.

Church members continued to linger on campus, but no further action was taken against them until 1994 when the Church attempted to regain University recognition under the guise of a new name. It was denied.

In addition to ridding BU of the group and serving as the Dean of Marsh Chapel, Thornburg also taught classes at the University. He is a graduate of Depauw University and, later, Garrett Evangelical Theological Seminary.