Terriers bring momentum to Temple

The Boston University women’s lacrosse team (1-1) has already shown it can play against the best in the country. BU followed its loss to No. 5 James Madison University with an impressive win over No. 8 University of North Carolina.

The Terriers were then granted their highest ever national ranking, entering this week as No. 7.

Now, it’s time for BU to show it can win against the unranked schools on its schedule. The Terriers face Temple University tonight in Philadelphia and then Ohio State University at St. Joseph’s University.

The Terriers will bring a deep, balanced scoring attack to the table. BU returns 10 of 12 starters from last year’s squad.

Senior midfielder Chrissy Lombard, last year’s America East Player of the Year, is expected to provide scoring power, especially in the absence of junior midfielder Kristin Abruzzese, who will not play this weekend because of a shoulder injury.

Abruzzese led BU with six goals and an assist in the first two games.

BU coach Sue Murphy said she would also look to her talented class of freshmen to pick up the slack.

“We’ve had some recurring injuries,” Murphy said Tuesday. “I’m going to have to lean on [the freshmen] more.”

And with the loss of defensive players Karen Trait and Michelle Ellsworth to graduation, more pressure will be placed on junior netminder Brooke Barrett.

Barrett boasts an impressive .564 save percentage and an 8.50 goals-against average thus far. She posted 22 saves through the first two games.

Murphy said her team is playing with extreme confidence, which has resulted in a higher level of play than last year.

“After the weekend I’m very optimistic,” Murphy said of beating North Carolina. “It was a really bold statement to go up, 6-0, on [North Carolina]. It was a statement that we’re playing at a higher level than last year.”

The Owls enter tonight’s game undefeated (2-0) after an 11-6 win over Lafayette University.