No. 7 Terriers build early season streak

There were more casualties this weekend.

The No. 7 Boston University women’s lacrosse team continued romping through its early season schedule, knocking off Ohio State University yesterday, 14-6, and Temple University, 8-7. The Terriers improved their record to 3-1 as they gear up for their first home matchup of the season.

Senior attacker Chrissy Lombard scored nine goals over the weekend, including six against Ohio State.

“We’ve asked a lot from her,” said BU coach Sue Murphy. “She has a lot of jobs and responsibilities. But we want to see others step it up, too. I think we’re a bigger threat when we have seven different scorers, not just one.”

Against the non-conference Buckeyes, the Terriers never trailed. They jumped out to an early 4-0 lead and extended it to 7-2 by halftime. Senior midfielder Kyle Rutkowski and junior defender Gabby Juocys both scored a pair of goals.

Senior attacker Rachel Lieber and freshman attacker Polly Purcell each contributed a goal and an assist. Senior defender Renee Vanderbrug and sophomore attacker Caroline Kelleher also added a goal.

Meanwhile, junior goalkeeper Brooke Barrett picked up her third consecutive victory in net, pulling in 15 saves and allowing five goals.

“I’m really proud of Kyle Rutkowski and Chrissy Lombard and Brooke Barrett,” Murphy said. “Kyle had three goals in the second half. She came up big for us. We were also a little beat up with some injuries, so it was nice to see them go into Ohio State and get the job done so early in the season.”

The Terriers squeaked past Temple two days earlier by scoring four unanswered goals in the second half. In the 8-7 victory, all of BU’s goals came from members of the Terrier senior class.

After springing to a 2-0 lead in the first half, Temple responded with four goals of its own, making it 4-2 by halftime. Rutkowski and Lieber each added a goal to tie it at four.

Thirty seconds later, the Owls added a goal to make it 5-4 and scored again to take a 6-4 lead.

Then, the Terriers went on a tear.

Vanderbrug scored her first goal of the season off a rebound to make it 6-5. BU added three more unanswered goals to give the Terriers an 8-6 lead.

Lombard and Rutkowski both finished with three goals, while Purcell contributed three assists.

Barrett made nine saves in the 8-7 win.

For the Terriers, the weekend’s wins underscored their status as one of the top lacrosse programs in the nation. In last week’s national poll, the Terriers moved from No. 9 to No. 7. With the prestige, however, comes at least one major drawback.

“Everyone wants a piece of you,” Murphy said. “It’s just a matter of learning to maintain the level of play. They’re learning as the season goes by. I’m really proud of them.”