Tennis team snaps streak, cruises to win

As many people enjoyed the pleasant weather on Tuesday, a few women in Rhode Island probably wished they had stayed indoors.

The Boston University women’s tennis team snapped its three-game losing streak with a 6-1 victory over Brown University in Providence, R.I., on Tuesday.

Even though she was glad to see a solid win, BU coach Lesley Sheehan had not been disappointed with the Terriers’ play in the previous three matches.

“I didn’t look at it as a three-game [losing streak] because of the teams we played,” Sheehan said.

The last two matches had been against Harvard University and the University of Virginia, who are both nationally ranked.

Tuesday’s meet started off with doubles matches, with junior Christina Causway and senior Carrie Rose leading off at first doubles with an 8-6 victory.

Following them at second doubles was the freshman pair of Lindsey Dynof and Elena deMendoza, who shut out their opponents with a score of 8-4.

Sophomore Alana Marcu paired up with senior Hsiao Ning Ham at third doubles and easily triumphed over their opponents, 8-3.

After these first three matches, Sheehan said she knew the Terriers were in good shape.

“I felt we could beat them,” she said. “The doubles were feeling pretty good. The key is to get the doubles.”

Causway played at first singles, defeating her opponent, 6-4, 6-1 and Rose followed suit at second singles with a win and an identical match score.

Although Dynof found herself down, 5-6, late in the first set, she managed to pull out a 7-6 win in the tiebreaker at third singles.

She followed the excitement with an easier 6-3 victory in the second set. DeMendoza also won in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4.

Since the Terriers had already secured a victory with wins in the first six matches, the fifth and sixth singles played eight-game pro sets instead of a best of three series.

Marcu, playing in the fifth slot, slaughtered her opponent, 8-0.

The Terriers’ only loss occurred at sixth singles where freshman Hannah Bartell lost the steam to defeat her experienced opponent and ended the match with an 8-4 defeat.

The Terriers hope to continue with the momentum they gained in Tuesday’s meet this weekend when they face Old Dominion University on Friday and Virginia Commonwealth on Saturday.

The Terriers will put a lot of miles on their rackets, as both meets will be away.

In addition, BU is the underdog in both matches.

“We will be playing teams we are trying to knock down [in the standings],” Sheehan said. “We are just trying to upset them.”