BU turns up the offense in victories

That explosion you heard over the weekend was probably the sound of the Boston University women’s lacrosse team’s offense.

En route to two important weekend wins, the No. 6 Terriers outscored their opponents, 27-8. BU knocked off Vanderbilt University yesterday, 15-7, and cruised to a blowout win over Drexel University, 12-1.

The Terriers are now 5-2 overall and 1-0 in America East.

Against Vanderbilt, the Terriers got a lift from freshman attacker Polly Purcell, who led the way with four goals and two of BU’s six free position scores.

The Terrier attack started at 27:33 of the first half when senior attacker Rachel Lieber scored a free position goal.

Moments later, Vanderbilt midfielder Jess Roguski tied the game up at one at 23:37 in the first half.

Then there was the explosion.

The Terriers scored seven of the final eight goals in the first half, contributing to an 8-2 BU halftime lead.

Junior midfielder Kristin Abruzzese picked up three goals in the BU scoring barrage.

For Abruzzese, who missed the last four games due to an injury, it was a deserving welcome-back party.

Vanderbilt tried to come back in the second half, picking up a goal from attacker Kinsey Osberg to make it 8-3.

Then there was the aftershock.

The Terriers rocketed to a 14-4 lead, scoring six of the next seven goals with 5:35 to go in the game.

Senior midfielder Chrissy Lombard, who leads the club in scoring, punched in three goals and one assist. Senior midfielder Kyle Rutkowski also picked up two goals.

The Terrier domination also extended into shooting. BU took 41 shots on the Commodores’ net and allowed just 14.

In net, junior Brooke Barrett pulled in four saves and gave up five goals in 55:50.

Against Drexel on Friday, it was more of the same.

Sophomore attacker Caroline Kelleher set the tone for the Terriers, scoring all three of her goals in the first 17 minutes of the first half en route to the dominating 12-1 blowout.

Lombard and Lieber also contributed a goal apiece, giving BU a 5-0 lead by halftime.

By 13:07 in the second half, BU had jumped out to a 10-0 lead.

Rutkowski and Purcell both scored two goals in that span to help the Terriers’ scoring attack.

The Terriers nearly came away with the shutout, as Drexel finally got on the scoreboard with just 3:16 to go in the game.

Midfielder Stephanie Hanshaw knocked in the lone Dragon goal to make the final score, 12-1.

Overall, the Terriers outshot the Dragons by a commanding advantage of 54-7. Barrett made just four saves in 50:15 in net.

Freshman Lauren Beatty came in to relieve Barrett, made two saves and gave up the lone Drexel goal.