Hurlers help in BU wins

Anyone who watched the Boston University softball team defeat the University of Rhode Island in yesterday’s doubleheader was treated to a bit of an unusual sight.

No — not just a game, although it was the first time the Terriers have made a home appearance this season after numerous weather-forced cancellations and postponements.

The three Terriers who pitched in the games shut out the Rams completely, as BU knocked off the Rams, 3-0, in the first matchup before eeking out a 1-0 victory in the second.

Sophomore hurler Robyn Horrick shut down Rhode Island in the first game, scattering four hits and striking out four to bring her record above .500 at 4-3.

Sophomore Tiffany Finateri and senior Robyn King combined to post a 3-0 win in the second game. Finateri started and pitched 5 1/3 scoreless innings. King stepped in and struck out five of the six batters she faced, allowing only one hitter to reach base on a walk.

Horrick, last season’s America East Rookie of the Year, was happy with the win, but she said she feels she can pitch better.

“I wasn’t my best today, but I thought the defense supported me well,” she said.

Indeed, Horrick showed some uncharacteristic wildness, hitting two Ram batters in the contest and walking three more. However, she got more than enough run support, and as she said, the fielders behind her were almost flawless.

The second game featured Finateri, the newest addition to the Terriers’ staff. The sophomore didn’t appear on the mound at all last year but has replaced the graduated Mary Colleran in the rotation.

“I felt pretty good,” Finateri said. “I was nervous, because it’s been so long since we’ve been outside, but we all did pretty well.”

Finateri’s 1.63 earned run average coming into the game showed how she has stepped up to become a dependable pitcher for the Terriers, which is important because it doesn’t force BU coach Amy Hayes to throw Robyn King into the mix more than she needs to. King is still recovering from an offseason arm injury, although she showed her incredible pedigree coming in to earn the victory in relief.

The junior star entered the game with one out in the sixth inning and a Rhode Island runner at third. Two strikeouts ended the Rams’ threat and showed how good King can be when she is on. Finateri is looking to both Horrick and King as she seeks to keep improving in her first year of collegiate mound work.

“I think I’ve come a long way since last year,” Finateri said. “Every day I get a little better. Watching Robyn King and Robyn Horrick, I can pick up on all the little things they do right.”

After having nine games postponed or cancelled due to the snow and rain, the Terriers showed they were clearly ready to begin their quest for the America East Championship by accomplishing what Horrick said is one of the team’s main goals: going undefeated at home. The way she sees it, being inside may have helped the team as much as it could have hurt them.

“[Being unable to go outside] made us that much more pumped up and motivated,” Horrick said.

With a pitching staff of King, Horrick and Finateri, the Terriers may have more than enough firepower to reach their goals.