Shocked students recall years of service

Expressing their admiration and respect for him, students last night said they were shocked to learn former Dean of Marsh Chapel Robert Watts Thornburg was placed on immediate leave by Boston University administrators last month.

Revered by students for his open concern for them, Thornburg listed his home telephone number in University telephone directories, often invited students into his home and helped make people of all denominations feel accepted within Marsh Chapel throughout his 23 years at BU.

“Dean Thornburg served with dedication and distinction for many years,” the University said in a written statement yesterday evening.

Her eyes widening as her body stiffened, Women’s Center Vice President Fahema Rahman was among those stunned to learn Thornburg’s leave was induced by more than just health reasons.

“I’m definitely shocked,” she said. “I’m not a religious person at all, which is one of the reasons it’s kind of strange that I love Dean Thornburg so much, but I guess it depends on what the inappropriate behavior is. I don’t always agree with the University about what they think is inappropriate and appropriate. I would hope that it isn’t anything that I have moral objections to, but I can’t really judge Dean Thornburg unless I know what he has done.”

Neither the University nor officials from the United Methodist Church would disclose the nature of the complaint filed against Thornburg.

“It definitely surprises me,” said Nicole Mushero, a member of the Chi Alpha Christian fellowship. “Inappropriate behavior? For Dean Thornburg? He seems to me a very genuine, decent, God-loving man. I can’t fathom; he seems like such a sweet man, I can’t imagine him doing something inappropriate.”

As a member of Chi Alpha, Mushero attended an event at Thornburg’s University estate earlier this year, and said she first learned of his leave through published reports. However, a member of another fellowship within Marsh alerted her to discrepancies between what he had been told and what appeared in the initial report.

“[My friend] was rather shocked about Dean Thornburg leaving because apparently Dean Thornburg had not planned to not retire until 2003, once he turned 75. So this is just all of a sudden. Dean Thornburg gave no explanation to the group or to any of them,” Mushero said.

Student Union Executive Vice President Marshalee Ducille agreed that Thornburg’s image among students is esteemed.

“I’ve known Dean Thornburg on issues involving the [National Association for the Advancement of Colored People],” Ducille said. “He is a huge supporter of minority groups, even in his sermons. … He transcended political, racial, denominational foolishness. His reputation was amazing.”

College of Communication freshman John Hopkins, a member of the Marsh Chapel work study staff, said from the moment he met Thornburg the dean looked like the “typical clergyman.” He was a “cute, old man,” Hopkins said, who was always smiling.

“Everyone gets to know him pretty well,” Hopkins added. “He always had a hello. Always a smile. I was not expecting it at all.”

Since graduating from the College of Engineering in 1996, Celeste Panek has had limited contact with Thornburg, but took for granted that Thornburg left for health reasons. When she learned the story was more complicated, she was bewildered.

“Confusion, skepticism,” Panek said, “because he’s done so much for the University, for the student groups on campus. He’s had a good relationship with deans and professors and the chaplaincy. I’ve never seen or heard about him acting inappropriately or saying anything inappropriate. He’s very professional and really loving and caring toward the students.”

In his efforts to curb problems with Armenian genocide, ENG senior Harmik Abedians went to Thornburg three years ago for guidance and help in organizing his event.

“He was very helpful, very friendly,” Abedians said. “The first time I met him my English wasn’t that good. I think it was three years ago. He made me feel comfortable. I held an event in Marsh Chapel, and he was very helpful. There was a conflict with another program he had to do, but he stayed for the whole program.

“I realize because of his age it was really hard to stay for two hours talking until six or seven o’clock in the evening. It was pretty late, but he put all effort he could into us.”

According to his peers, Abedians’ dealings with Thornburg are typical.

“He’s just the nicest guy ever. He’s been really supportive of the Women’s Center and our efforts to get a rape crisis center and improve our rape crisis services,” Rahman said.

“If a woman is concerned about rape or violence against women, we have women chaplains. We have a broad team that works together,” Thornburg told The Daily Free Press in 1991.

Mushero described Thornburg as “a very kind, considerate, gentle man who is very reserved but at the same time approachable,” and indicated he would be sorely missed by the students of Boston University.

“I was very surprised and sad,” Rahman agreed. “I know his health is more important, obviously, more important than being here, but I really like him. I think he’s a great, great person.”