Fenway Fans return to park

The Boston Red Sox opened their 2001 home season at Fenway Park last Friday against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays before a crowd of almost 34,000 excited fans.

And the fans were not disappointed. Despite the cold and rain, the Red Sox went on to win 11-4 after giving up three runs in the first inning.

The Boston slug fest was led by new star Manny Ramirez. On the first pitch in his first at-bat at Fenway, Ramirez hit the ball over Fenway’s famous Green Monster for a three-run homer to tie the game.

From there, the Sox rolled on to victory, adding homeruns from Carl Everett and Mike Lansing.

The ceremonial first pitch of the home season was thrown out by Red Sox legend Carl Yastrzemski. Congressman Joseph Moakley was scheduled to throw it but wasn’t able due to the weather and his health

Before the game, a band, jugglers and even a big balloon release entertained fans who had come from all over New England.

Fenway Park is the oldest ballpark in the Major League and has been open since April 1912. With talk of a new stadium, the number of Opening Days left at Fenway is diminishing.