BU hopes to continue streak against Vermont

The Easter Bunny looks to have come early for the Boston University softball team.

And what did he leave in the Terriers’ Easter baskets?

No sweet chocolate or cream eggs, but something better: a great chance at grabbing two conference wins this weekend as the Terriers prepare to host the University of Vermont at Malvern Field.

BU (17-11, 5-3 America East) heads into the two-game series on full cylinders, winning its last seven games and making a strong run for a top position in the conference.

On the other hand, the Catamounts (5-12, 0-8 America East) are traveling in the opposite direction.

Trapped in the cellar of the conference and with basically no chance for a playoff spot, Vermont hopes to play the role of spoiler for the rest of the season.

The Terriers continue to combine outstanding pitching performances with a powerful offense.

The trio of sophomores Robyn Horrick and Tiffany Finateri and senior Robyn King have lived up to the expectations as arguably the dominant pitching staff in America East.

They have been nearly untouchable, only allowing an average of just over two runs a game (2.25) while striking out an astounding 192 batters.

And as the weather is heating up, so are the BU bats.

Sophomore shortstop Kristin Knesek has been tearing the cover off the ball in the last two weeks, raising her team-leading batting average to .310.

Combine that with Finateri’s power surge in the last week as she smashed home runs in back-to-back games, and BU’s hitting parade looks unstoppable.

It’s a pretty good bet that if the Terriers continue to shine against the Catamounts this weekend, the momentum will help carry them into a strong position heading into the conference playoffs.

The team is already accomplishing one of its goals this season in staying undefeated on its home turf.