Pitching again silences opponents’ bats

Thirteen straight victories.

To the Boston University softball team, life can not be much sweeter than playing at its home ballpark, the BU Softball Field, while piling up the wins against conference and non-conference foes.

A six-game home sweep over the weekend can make a team feel that way. The Terriers continued to dismantle the competition in two doubleheader victories against the University of Vermont this past Friday and Saturday. They then topped it off with a doubleheader sweep of the University of Maine yesterday afternoon.

And with a four-game sweep of the University of Delaware last week, BU has piled up 10 straight wins against conference teams, moving into formidable position for a top playoff spot next month.

The Terriers can thank a solid pitching staff and timely hitting for their recent success. The hurlers have been especially impressive of late, holding their opponents scoreless in 48 consecutive innings, led by none other than senior pitcher Robyn King.

King earned her second consecutive America East softball Pitcher of the Week honor thanks to three dominating conference starts. She went the distance three times and didn’t give up a run while hurling a no-hitter against Vermont on Friday and was one out away from a second no-hitter on Saturday.

She has collected double-digit strikeouts in five of her last seven appearances, and hasn’t given up a run in her last six appearances. In 14 appearances this season, King has reeled off nine wins with only one blemish on her record. On average, she has given up less than half a run per game and also leads the conference in winning percentage (.888), hits per seven innings pitched (3.56), strikeouts per seven innings pitched (10.79), strikeout-to-walk ratio (4.19) and opponent batting average (.141).

BU also can’t forget about the sophomore duo of Robyn Horrick and Tiffany Finateri. After a shaky start to the season, Horrick (10-5) has come around nicely to add a true second starter in backing up King. Horrick has been particularly dominating in her last two starts, striking out 15 while allowing only one run in 14 innings of work. Finateri (4-5) has come through as well for the Terriers, earning a complete game, three-hit shutout over Holy Cross last Wednesday and belting a two-run home run in the game to pace BU.

Finateri arguably carried the team at the plate this weekend, doubling in the winning run the first game against Vermont on Friday while continuing her hot streak on Saturday by going 3-for-4 in the second game of the doubleheader with four RBI.

But the most surprising part is the team isn’t even at full strength. Senior center fielder Kenya Palmer saw her first action since injuring her right foot 15 games ago on Saturday with her pinch-hit single, but is still day-to-day. Freshman Bridget Dunlap is still recovering from a severe back injury suffered early in the season, and sophomore Janine Valente is questionable on her return after being hit on the hand by a pitch.

So what happens if the women continue their torrid pace through America East competition?

Conference rivals must then take warning — the Terriers’ bark is not nearly as bad as their bite.