Terriers prep to host Syracuse

The Boston University women’s lacrosse team (8-5 overall, 3-1 America East), coming off an impressive 13-3 win over Big East opponent University of Connecticut, will face another Big East team in Syracuse University this Saturday.

For the No. 19 Terriers, it will be the first game against a ranked opponent since its loss to Old Dominion University earlier this month. The No. 15 Orangewomen improved their record to 7-4 overall after beating No. 12 Cornell University this week.

One of Syracuse’s losses came to national powerhouse No. 1 University of Maryland. To say the Orangewomen are a dangerous team would be an understatement. The Syracuse offense is led by junior Carrie Soults, the team’s leading scorer with 32 points, and freshmen Leigh-Ann Zimmer, last week’s Big East conference Offensive Player of the Week.

To say Saturday’s game is “just another game” for BU would also be a huge understatement. The Terriers, as of late, have struggled to get out of the blocks in the beginning of the game especially after a big win. The Terriers have followed their last two blowout wins with very disappointing losses.

BU’s last outing against Connecticut ended with the Terriers scoring 10 unanswered goals en route to posting the 13-3 win. Even though they are facing a much more formidable opponent in Syracuse, they are hoping history will not repeat itself.

With just four games remaining in the regular season and the America East playoffs just around the corner, Saturday’s game could be very important.

After dropping three of its last four contests, the Terriers dropped to a season-low national ranking of 19. Another loss would undoubtedly oust them from the top 20 teams in the nation which could be a devastating blow to the confidence of a team considered a legitimate final four squad.

A confidence boost heading into the end of the schedule could be just what BU needs.

The Terriers will honor the senior members of this year’s squad before the game as this weekend’s contest is the last “home” game of the season. The game will be played at Babson College due to ongoing renovations to Nickerson Field.

There are five seniors on this year’s squad. They are defensmen Renee Vanderbrug and Ellen Robinson, midfielders Chrissy Lombard and Kyle Rutowski and attacker Rachel Lieber.

BU’s next conference game will be Monday at the University of New Hampshire.