Latinos support candidate

Gubernatorial candidate Steve Grossman was praised for his support of Latino communities and received a formal endorsement last night from former U.S. Energy Secretary Bill Richardson at the Jorge Hernandez Cultural Center in the South End.

Richardson, who has known the candidate for 25 years, said he saw Grossman, the former chairman of both the Massachusetts and national Democratic Committees, bring the Democratic Party back to life when it was dispirited and lacked funds.

Richardson spoke of the need for Latino representation in government and proclaimed Grossman as the man for the job.

“What gives me the most pride is not that our community is growing and growing, and pretty soon we will be the largest minority, but seeing Latinos work in the community,” Richardson said. “America has recognized us. In a state like Massachusetts — a state of close races — our community can decide the elections.”

Housing, immigration, civil rights and jobs are important, Richardson said, but the economy is just as important because Latinos are part of the mainstream. He said Latinos make up 15 percent of Boston, but with one Latino city councilor, he said he believes they can do better.

“This is the first political event in the government’s race, and it is the Latino community taking that leadership,” Richardson said. “Our community has for a long time been taken for granted, but no more.

“What we have here is an American mosaic. Whether Puerto Ricans, Mexicans or Dominican Republicans, we are one. We are unified as a community behind values.”

Richardson supports Grossman “because this guy cares about the issues, people and values of our country. But most importantly he cares about us.”

Richardson said he believes Grossman will appoint Latinos to his cabinet if elected governor in 2002.

“I think our community will have a champion,” Richardson said. “I really feel this because I know the guy.”

Richardson said Grossman has the “eye of the tiger,” and possesses the hunger to be the next Bay State governor.

Iovita Fontanez, coordinator for the event, spoke highly of Grossman and his willingness to help Latinos.

“The numbers are there; the census has proven it,” Fontanez said. “I’ve worked with Steve over the last 10 years and he more than talks the talk. He walks the talk.”

Despite a Latino population of almost half a million, this group has been left behind for too long, Grossman said.

“This is a campaign in which we can leave no one behind,” he said.

Grossman urged supporters to move forward with optimism, energy and passion.

“Sign up and be part of our campaign,” Grossman said. “More than anything else, we need your ideas and vision.”