STAFF EDIT: Building Quality Of Life

By the winter of 2005, the lives of Boston University students will be improved when impressive changes are made to the University’s metropolitan landscape. Plans are in the works for the new Student Village project, as BU reports its hopes to break ground this summer. Although it would require the removal of the current Armory, the final result of this project has the ability to enrich the quality of student life at Boston University.

According to reports, the work will include adding three more residence halls similar to that already existing at 10 Buick Street, as well as a new hockey rink and student recreation center. These new structures will solidify a connection between West Campus and the rest of the University, therefore instilling a more “campus feel” among students. Such work would certainly show Boston University is putting its tuition hike to good use.

The additions of three new dormitories to the BU campus would have a positive effect on students and neighboring communities as well. The proposed structures will cause the number of students living on campus to grow from 80 percent to 90 percent. This is music to the ears of BU’s neighbors, as it will open nearby apartments to Boston residents in more urgent need of housing.

These dorms will also mean better housing for upperclassmen and greater facility in renovating the more run-down residences on campus. Larger dorms like Warren Towers and West Campus are beneficial for freshmen who want to meet new people and solidify new friendships. However, as students climb the academic ranks, the importance of finding new friends becomes lost in desires to live more independent lives. The apartment-style residences are more appealing, and with their small kitchens and individual bathrooms, they produce a sense of gratifying responsibility.

The new Student Village will be a welcome addition to the Boston University urban landscape. It holds rewards for upperclassmen, areas surrounding the University, and the student body as a whole. The new student activity options and housing advantages made available are critical to improving student life.