Women’s Studies Shackled

In the 1970s, Boston University established a Women’s Studies Department with the intention of educating students about the past, present and future status of women in the world. This program, initially created as a supplement to the regular University curriculum, soon developed into a frustration for students. As the department began to expand, students were no longer satisfied with the limitations placed on their education, specifically the prohibition to major in women’s studies. Today, more than 25 years later, this frustration continues as students are still not allowed to major in this department.

When I asked a professor of women’s studies at Boston University about her standpoint on the issue, she stated, “As a faculty member of the BU community, I am not allowed to discuss this.” This hardly threatening issue deserves much more than just a “No comment.” These programs, which exist in more than 700 schools across the nation, are not here to glorify women but rather to teach about them. Among these 700 schools, most offer major options within the department. Besides focusing on the feminist analysis of women and their experiences, this program also teaches valuable general techniques applicable in any situation. According to the Penn State catalog, “The Women’s Studies major emphasizes the development of critical and analytical skills, creative approaches to problem solving and the ability to articulate productive alternatives.” So, with all these great benefits, why is it such a difficult task to take the BU program a step further and allow students to major in women’s studies?

Unfortunately, some regard this idea as utterly unnecessary. The connotations attached to feminism leave women’s studies to a limited audience. Sadly, most people view the students who enjoy these programs as anti-male, anti-establishment, anti-shaving, women-loving lesbians who belong to a fastidious, self-righteous cult. Yet, the closer study of the structure of gender systems is far from constrained to an ominous radical group. The program exists for the benefit of men and women, feminists and non-feminists, who are interested in broadening their views of women’s life experiences and their crusades toward equality. Ultimately, the Women’s Studies program suffers because of the misconceptions attached to feminism.

Women’s studies’ six degrees of misconception have hindered the advancement of these programs for long enough. We have the freedom to educate and to be educated. If students demand the right to major in this subject, then what right does Boston University have to deny them of this? I urge all those in favor of expanding BU’s Women’s Studies program to please write to: Professor Shahla Haeri, Director of Women’s Studies, 232 Bay State Road, Room 410, Boston, Massachusetts 02215. Help rewrite history to include HER story as well.