STAFF EDIT: Fighting Terrorism

The United States Justice Department is about to find itself swamped with cases surrounding the events of Sept. 11. Discovered Taliban conspirators are already trickling into the department as searches continue to seek out all terrorists. The country will find itself faced with having to deal with each situation in a stern and uncompromising manner.

In one of the first of many of these trials, American Taliban John Walker will face charges of terrorism support and plans to kill U.S. citizens abroad. It is likely he will be sentenced to life in prison, rather than be subject to the death penalty, which was ruled out as an option Tuesday — a wise choice. In choosing to handle the case in this manner, prosecutors have strengthened their chances of a win. Straying from the death penalty avoids further complication that invariably arises when capital punishment is employed as an option.

Walker needs to receive a sentencing that is worthy of his crime. By choosing to associate himself with the Taliban, Walker deserted his country. If justice serves, Walker will receive the punishment he deserves for committing such a heinous act: a life sentence.

Despite his associations with the Taliban and hatred of his country, Walker should not be made into a poster child representing all anti-government extremists. No one should confuse this man with your typical left-wing zealot; he is the extreme of all extreme. Walker should be subject to justice by way of an American court ruling. It is a more constructive way to show the public that violence is no way to get one’s voice across in this country.

The Justice Department has a long, challenging road ahead of it. However, if it continues with its work in punishing terrorists in a pragmatic manner, the country will have won its war against terrorism.