STAFF EDIT: Keep Beliefs Intact

As Afghanistan continues to face the wrath of sporadic bombing, the United Nations has figured out how to aid the country in its recovery. The United States, known for stepping in and taking action in ailing countries, for better or worse, has promised a $300 million contribution to the estimated $1.7 billion in costs for the new government’s first year. However, with this money must come an understanding of compromise and loyalty.

Donating money to Afghanistan for its reconstruction is very important if one seeks to amend relations between the two countries. A sincere effort must be made by Afghans to prevent the rise of another Taliban-controlled government, or any other government that may support terrorism. It should be clear that no unnecessary negative actions should be enacted against the United States after it put money and aid forth in re-building the country.

However, the United States must keep in mind the different beliefs and values the Afghanistan lifestyle includes. The United States has the negative reputation of “Americanizing” foreign governments during efforts to aid weaker nations. Though America may be tempted to instill our values on the new government, the country must learn from past mistakes and hold strong to its original intent to help. The United States must remain conscious and respectful of Afghan beliefs and ways of thinking.

Afghanistan and American can keep different views while establishing and maintaining a long-lasting rapport. Aiding Afghanistan with its efforts is definitely a wise investment, so long as the United States is smart in its use of the contributions. Give Afghanistan provisions and guidelines that ensure loyalty toward the goals of the United States while keeping the country’s original beliefs intact.