BU, Stand By Moffo

I can certainly not deny some of the jealousy many of us Harvard students feel toward your university: your location, your vibrant social life and your student center. But any admiration we feel waned today as we learned of the forced resignation of Student Union President Michael Moffo. Many fellow student government leaders across the Boston area were impressed by Moffo’s professionalism and skillful prodding of civic and university leaders to do more for BU students. We pity the fact that your university has the ability to oust a popularly-elected student body president with probation standards more stringent than many area schools, including ours at Harvard.

Moffo has been a key player in the collaboration of student government leaders across Boston to share resources and knowledge to make a difference for Boston-area students. While one school might not be able to have its voice heard about such issues as later MBTA hours, many schools could. While one school might not have the resources to sponsor trips to Vermont and New York City, many schools could. The progress we have been making will surely be stymied by the callous actions of your university’s administration.

While we are confident that BU will continue to work with other student governments with the new Student Union leadership, we simply do not understand how your administration can get away with an offensive action like this one. We urge the Student Union to truly be a body independent from the University, whose interests may be far different than those of the thousands of students on your campus. Serious changes ought to be made in order to prevent University administrations from undoing elections and silencing the voice of students again.