File Sharing May Lead To Increased Student Fees

With an increasing number of students sharing files across the Boston University network, the Office of Information Technology may be forced to raise student fees to expand it, according to Jim Stone, director of Consulting Services.

When downloading software, music, or any large file, the high-bandwidth BU network is an extremely attractive option as a “world-wide jukebox,” according to Stone. Many people access the music library, and the network clogs and slows down as a result, he said, leading some students to voice complaints about the reduced speed of the network.

Many people think downloading files from the network are free of charge, according to Stone.

“It’s not really free,” he said. “BU’s investment in the network to expand the bandwidth will affect the room, board and tuition fees.”

One measure students could take to prevent extra bills, other than to stop downloading, is to stop sharing, Stone said.

“I’m pretty realistic of the situation and I don’t expect students to give up the technology and music,” Stone said. “But if one-person-in-two stops sharing, that in itself will help the BU network a lot.”

Despite the extra fee students may have to pay, some said they would rather keep on sharing.

“Some people won’t let you download if you don’t share your own files,” said Nicky Lauridsen, a College of Arts and Sciences freshman.

Naoki Leo Kobayashi, a Metropolitan College sophomore, said it is more of a nationwide issue.

After hearing Stone’s comments, Kobayashi said, “I’ll be the second person in the world who will continue to share.”

However, some students said they agreed with Stone.

Takuya Kimura, a first-year MET graduate student, said he thought students were sharing files automatically and didn’t know how to disable the feature.

“We should stop sharing files, so people won’t use BU resources, but I don’t think many people know these stop-sharing functions,” Kimura said.

Mai Otsuka, a CAS freshman, said she would rather not share for different reasons.

“Letting other people [download] from your computer slows down your hard drive a lot, and that’s unwanted consequences,” she said.

As Kimura anticipated, some students did not know the music they downloaded is being shared.

Marika Tanaka, a College of Communication sophomore, said she didn’t know she was sharing files while she was downloading, nor that she could stop sharing with one click.

“If someone can tell me how to stop sharing, I won’t share my files. As long as there are music files that I can download, then I won’t mind not sharing.”

Tanaka agreed with Kimura.

“Maybe the IT Office could offer some tutorials,” she said.