STAFF EDIT: Keeping Track

Six years ago, Congress ordered the creation of a system that would track foreign students throughout the United States. That system is only now being fully enforced, the direct result of terrorism fears stemming from the Sept. 11 attacks. Despite some concerns from Boston University officials, the University has announced it will comply with the use of the system to monitor its foreign students.

The purpose of this tracking system is to keep tabs on student records and visa statutes. It was a good idea when it was conceived, and it’s about time it was enforced.

It took Sept. 11 for the country to really understand the system’s value, and it is a shame it took the loss of so many lives for the government to get in gear. However, tragedy often has such an effect, and if it showed the country that this kind of system is vital to preventing future attacks, it is better late than never.

It is necessary to assure the legality of every person currently in the United States. Still, it is important to remember that not only foreign students can be terrorist suspects.

To officials at BU, this system should not result in any major changes. The system aids in performing duties they should have been focusing on in the first place. Foreign students are the University’s responsibility, and officials should be willing to oblige in monitoring the violations of all its students.

Tracking foreign students, so long as it does not become invasive, is key to restoring the country’s faith. There is a reason the law was adopted in the first place, as is all too apparent in the wake of terror.