Parker Accused Of Assaulting A Fan

A Northeastern University student filed assault charges against Boston University hockey coach Jack Parker regarding an alleged incident prior to a BU-Northeastern game on Jan. 4.

The student, Justin Harriman, filed the report on Jan. 13, nine days after the Terriers visited Northeastern’s Matthews Arena.

The alleged assault occurred as the BU players took the ice for pre-game warmups. Harriman leaned over the railing that hangs over the walkway to the ice with a megaphone in his hand. As Parker walked past, he reached up and grabbed onto Harriman. As the jostling continued, security converged on the scrum, as did several BU players.

The Northeastern Police Department had no comment when reached by The Daily Free Press last night.

Parker was also unable to be reached for comment, but said to the Northeastern News, “I told him I didn’t want him using that horn while my players walked by for the safety of my players. When he began doing it I went to grab the megaphone. I couldn’t reach and grabbed the jersey he was wearing.”

According to the News, Parker said that in the previous year, Harriman was warned by Northeastern police for harassment of the BU players.

BU junior defenseman Freddy Meyer said that the incident would likely have little effect on the players’ focus in their upcoming games against the University of Massachusetts at Amherst on Friday at Walter Brown Arena and Northeastern on Monday in the Beanpot Championship.

“If it didn’t affect us [on Jan. 4, when it happened],” Meyer said. “I don’t see why it would affect us now.”