STAFF EDIT: Saving Cab Money

When 2 a.m. rolls around on any given Friday or Saturday night in Boston, public transportation becomes quite popular. Some people leaving bars or parties run to the last Night Owl bus offered by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. However, most people hail cabs, which do a great service to those unable to catch the Night Owl before its 2:30 a.m. closing time.

The Boston Police Department recently decided against plans to increase cab rates. The purpose of this action was to aid other city industries in their recovery from the Sept. 11 attacks. While the country is currently in a state of economic fragility, and its citizens are suffering as a result, the BPD was wise in this difficult decision.

Though cab business has been down, cabs remain to be the sole source of transportation at night in the city. This is not the only business presently suffering — businesses all around the country have dealt with losses, especially after the Sept. 11 attacks. The BPD was right in making a sacrifice, as many others have. As important as the cab business is to the Boston community, it does not deserve a rate increase paid by local residents and businesses.

The people most affected by the decision to maintain the current cab fares are the cab drivers. Many of the city’s cabbies are foreign and struggling to make it in a new country, which makes the decision even more important. Nevertheless, the decision will hurt fewer people than a rate hike would have. The BPD had to make a decision that benefited the greatest number of people, and keeping the present fares will do this.

However, the financial difficulties of cab drivers, as well as their adjustments to this country, cannot be forgotten. To make up for the lack of new income for cab drivers, officials should consider lowering the price for taxi licenses. By considering saving money in other areas, they can help ease the financial worries of some of the city’s most tireless workers.

In times of economic instability, it is important to remember that everyone must make sacrifices. Americans must continue to work together to rebuild businesses and the economy. More people will prosper in the long run.