STAFF EDIT: Research Your Residences

Last year’s housing selection left more than a few Boston University students disappointed with the results. Some blamed it on the Student Village, some on upperclassmen returning to on-campus residences, others on the housing lottery as a whole. However, did any BU students stop to think there was something they could do about it?

The housing process is primarily about getting informed. Students must talk to upperclassmen about their previous experiences and request advice for the future. Follow it up by going to housing. Study floor plans and talk to people in the office about your chances of getting into your residence of choice. From there, line up options and backups to be prepared for the ever-stressful housing appointment.

If students are smart in preparing to choose future housing, the chances of positive results are higher. Students may not always receive ideal housing, but at least BU doles it out freely.

Unlike many other universities, BU guarantees its students four years of housing. While students may be disappointed with certain dormitories on campus, they need to remember how lucky they are to have the opportunity to have secured housing in the expensive city of Boston. The responsibility of the University is not to provide the most posh housing. The University has made a pledge to put a roof over its students heads, and it has succeeded in doing so through its purchase of the Kenmore Howard Johnson’s and its plans for the Student Village project.

The key to surviving the housing selection process is staying well-informed. Go out and do research. Learn from past mistakes to avoid future frustration.