A SPORTING CHANCE: Salt Lake City’s Lords Of The Rink

I’m an Olympic hockey dork. It’s really exciting to see what style of play emerges from what regions of the world and how those styles match up. The 150 Detroit Red Wings … er, NHLers, playing will set the world stage up for some breathtaking hockey, but we’re always privileged to see unknown players from other leagues display their spectacular skills. It’s easy to jump to conclusions about what it takes to win.

Is it motivation? Maybe Canada will take it because they’re out to avenge what happened in Nagano.

Is it goaltending? Perhaps that means Dominik Hasek will get the Czechs another gold.

Is it offensive prowess? Well, then, give it to the U.S. with their NHL superstar attackers.

But, I wasn’t about to guess too hastily. No, neither the glittering goaltending of the Czechs, the flying forwards of Team USA, nor the defensive depth of Russia will lure me into automatically pinning them as the favorites. This puck nerd decided to figure out this whole medal mess by writing out the advantages and disadvantages each team has on individual note cards (I’d love to see how much my GPA would increase if I had the diligence to study for school the same way). I’d be better than Bentham if I could calculate the winner with this process — adding up the pluses and minuses would surely provide me with a clear favorite.

But, the beauty of the games is that what it takes to capture a medal could be anything. Empirical data doesn’t mean much. Who would have thought, by what it looks like on paper, that Germany would have dominated its way through prelims with only one NHLer? It’s anybody’s game in a tourney like this. Here go my predictions — I hope they don’t turn out exactly how I guess: surprise is one of the best elements of the Olympic games.

BRONZE: Many analysts predict Russia to bottom-out the top five. The 1998 Nagano silver medalists have the prowess to really shake things up in Salt Lake City. These guys worked hard to show that the Russian hockey system is not in as bad of shape as many see it. They banded together urging for Hall-of-Famer Slava Fetisov to be their coach and manager, and if they can unite the hockey elements of their game together like they worked together to keep Boris Mikhailov out of the coaching position, they’ll be a real medal threat.

I see Nikolai Khabibulin as the strongest goaltender in the games. He’s not the most decorated or experienced goaltender there, but he’s in the middle of a remarkably solid season. He should have been the All-Star game MVP. Put blue liners Darius Kasparitus, blocking shots, and Vladimir Malakhov, stealing the puck, in front of him and it’ll be extremely difficult to score. Calder Trophy favorite Ilya Kovalchuck seems due to steal the spotlight. The Olympics just seem to create the best atmosphere for the 18-year-old. Give us a line with Bure and Samsonov being centered by Federov or Yashin, and we’ll get to see a fantastic trio of speedy puck-handlers.

SILVER: Mike Richter and Tom Barrasso are old. But they haven’t been playing like it. If they keep playing like they never went into pseudo-retirement or under the knife for knee surgery, their experience in playing in critical games will keep the U.S. solid in net. If defense can transition the puck well in the neutral zone to set up offensive opportunities, the offense will be scary.

Team USA’s forwards have the best NHL stats of any team. Don’t forget that a lot of players may tire easily — factoring in NHL games and the All-Star game, many Olympians will be playing every other day. This team has the fortune of a well-rested Mike Modano, who didn’t attend the All-Star game. He is one of this big and quick offense’s go-to-guys. If the United States can employ successful left and right wing locks, opposing offenses will have a difficult time advancing the puck along the boards.

Who knows whether their home-ice is really home-ice; while they do boast a 2-for-3 gold medal record at home, an Olympic-sized rink (13 inches wider than NHL rinks) certainly favors the open-ice play of the Europeans.

GOLD: Canada’s ready to reassert its world dominance in a sport other than curling. Canada’s been obsessed with reclaiming its hockey throne ever since Hasek stoned Brendan Shanahan on Canada’s last chance in Nagano’s gold-medal shootout. Isn’t it amazing that the Canadians haven’t glittered gold since 1952? Doesn’t it seem legendary to have a team general managed by Wayne Gretzky and captained by Mario Lemieux?

Pat Quinn had the opportunity to coach both the North-American all-star squad peppered with Canadian Olympians and now Team Canada. Joe Sakic, Paul Kariya and Lemieux gelled as a cohesive and creative unit during the All-Star game. They were super impressive when they chose to pass the entire game; in the Olympics they’ll be looking to shoot more. Look out.

Quinn also stuck Rob Blake and Chris Pronger behind them several times during the game. It seems like this combination is capable of getting the defense to add to the offense while being secure in its own zone. Blake and Pronger are long pass specialists, and their skill is enhanced without the two-line pass rule. Unlike the U.S., which doesn’t have a defenseman to rely on to get the shot from the point on the power play, Canada will benefit from having Norris Trophy contender Al MacAnnis and his slap shot.

Unless Gretzky has to kick himself for not putting on the roster Patrick Roy, who is having an excellent season with the Avs, he’ll benefit tremendously by the balanced team he assembled for Salt Lake City. Players like Lemieux, Steve Yzerman and Sakic are among the very best in the game in both zones.

But, of course, any one of these strong teams can be out-muscled by Finland’s tough defensive corps, Sweden’s star power or the Czechs’ superb goaltending. Tomorrow marks the start of the big-time hockey games. Get ready to be wowed by chemistry and creativity – and a brand of hockey that is unlike anything you’ve seen before.