Students Celebrate Valentine’s Day Local And Long Distance

While lonely Boston University singles may long for a companion on Valentine’s Day, couples say a relationship extends beyond those 24 hours promoted by Hallmark.

“It’s hard to find time to be alone together in college because you’re always in a social situation,” said Trisha Kingsbury, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences. “You have to work at it.”

College of Communication senior Mindy Finn said she and her boyfriend have a tradition of always at least calling to say goodnight before each of them go to bed. “Also, during the days I have school and he works, we send emails,” she said.

But such behavior is essential for the open communication that keeps a relationship strong, according to Finn.

“We never let conflict go not talked about,” Finn said. “It may be uncomfortable, but we make an effort to tell each other what we are feeling.”

“There’s never been a day that we haven’t at least talked on the phone,” Jenn Roseman, a CAS freshman, said of her boyfriend. “We also email all the time just to say hi.”

For students in long-distance relationships, keeping in touch through the telephone or computer is often difficult.

“We fight sometimes since it’s hard to tell a person’s attitude when they’re saying something over AOL Instant Messenger,” CAS freshman Rebecca Wu said of her boyfriend in New York. “It’s all good, though, because we always make up.”

Valentine’s Day is a welcome excuse for couples separated by distance to see each other, Wu said.

“We’re not planning on celebrating until I get to his place on Friday,” Wu said. “We sent each other cards, too.”

Couples in the Boston area were also excited about spending time together and enjoying local hangouts.

“We’re going skating at Frog Pond, and then we’re going home for the weekend so that we can drive up for a ski trip in Vermont,” Roseman said.

“We have reservations at Charlie’s, a restaurant on Newbury Street,” Kingsbury said.

But not everyone had his or her ideal Valentine’s Day date decided.

“I think we are going to go to dinner and see the movie ‘Monster’s Ball,'” Finn said. “We don’t have our plans rock-solid yet.”

“Since my girlfriend goes to Penn State, there’s not much we can do,” said CAS freshman Pat Hawk. “But I’m definitely calling her.”

Finding the perfect Valentine’s Day gift for a boyfriend or girlfriend can add stress to the holiday, students said.

“I wasn’t sure what to get my girlfriend,” Hawk said. “She loves ‘My So-Called Life,’ so I thought some tapes of the show would be a good idea.”

Limited funds also affect how students celebrate.

“I had wanted to go to dinner and see the play ‘I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change,’ but it would have cost a fortune,” Finn said. “Valentine’s Day is just one day. I’d rather have a lot of special dates instead of just one super-expensive one.”

“Being able to go visit my boyfriend is good enough for me,” Wu said. “Especially since he paid for my bus ticket.”