Funky CFA Students Find Jazz Success

Stefon Harris, a 28-year-old vibraphonist and composer, claims that a successful jazz career is all about attitude. He has more than enough.

Harris discussed his success in a lecture to students and faculty members at Berklee College of Music’s David Friend Recital Hall yesterday afternoon.

“There are a lot of funky attitudes in the jazz world. A lot of cats with huge, huge chips on their shoulders,” Harris said. “To play with the big names, you have to show people what separates you from the rest, that you are an interesting person.”

Harris, whose numerous accolades include Best Mallet Player from the Jazz Journalist Association (2000-2001), Debut Artist of the Year from JazzTimes, and a Grammy nomination for his 1999 release, Black Action Figure, lectured and performed as part of the annual Dr. Warrick L. Carter Lecture Series. Dressed in a crisp, gray shirt and jeans, he strode around the small stage as he spoke about his career, his philosophies and his love of music.

“I knew I wanted to be a leader. I have a big mouth, and I always love to talk,” Harris admitted. Harris began writing music in seventh grade and landed his first recording contract while still in college at the Manhattan School of Music.

In addition to a positive, humble attitude, Harris emphasized the importance of hiring a competent managerial team.

“The biggest decision you will make in a music career is the first person to put on your team,” he said. “You need to find a trustworthy manager to teach you and give you information before gaining visibility and a recording contract.”

Harris also spoke about the process of jazz-composing. He usually wakes up each morning “funky breath and all” and sits at the piano, where he plucks a few notes and waits for inspiration.

“I speak a lot about philosophies,” Harris said. “My general philosophy about composition is that everyone is born with a unique spirit, a spirit that doesn’t change with time. Though a person’s environment may change, their spirit remains constant. Music is a reflection of this inner spirit.

“I don’t create,” he added. “I discover and write down what already exists.”

Harris has recorded with many of today’s greatest jazz artists, such as Joe Henderson and Buster Williams, and has performed in many of the world’s most distinguished concert halls. He has also played with various orchestras, chambers and ensembles in his distinguished career.

“What I like most about music is the human element,” he said. “It’s being able to come on the bandstand with people I don’t know and really learn to listen to them. That’s how music breathes.”

At the conclusion of his lecture, Harris improvised a ballad on the vibraphone, backed by a pianist, a standing base and a drummer. Lawrence McClellan, Jr., dean of the Professional Education Division at Berklee College, presented Harris with a plaque.

“We present this small token of appreciation to Mr. Harris for his accomplishments in the music industry and for the beautiful message he has shared with us today,” McClellan said in his closing remarks.

Berklee’s Board of Trustees established the annual Dr. Warren L. Carter Lecture Series as part of Berklee’s Black History Month celebration. Dr. Carter served as dean of faculty and later as provost/vice president of academic affairs and was dedicated to advancing faculty support and diversity at Berklee.