Boston University Rejects Admission Quotas

Despite a national conference’s recent vote of approval for three educational uses for expanded affirmative action, Boston University will not begin using racial quotas as part of its admissions procedure.

The law prohibits BU from using quotas, according to BU spokesman Colin Riley.

“It is illegal to use quotas; we don’t [use them] because it is discriminatory,” Riley said.

At the second National Conference of the New Civil Rights Movement, which took place two weekends ago at the University of Michigan, activists discussed the issue of the use of affirmative action in the college admissions process.

The conference voted to approve three resolutions including increasing support to end the use of SAT tests and other standardized tests nationwide, mobilizing for a national Civil Rights march in April, and starting a petition before the Supreme Court to support affirmative action.

According to Riley, the number of African American students at BU generally remains stable. Currently, African Americans make up 2-3 percent of the undergraduate student body, Riley said.

Some students said implementing quotas would be a valid way of increasing diversity on campus.

“Having some quotas would encourage more ethnicities to come here, that’s definitely a plus,” said Ben Worcester, a College of Communication sophomore. “But there are arguments from those who think having quotas take away from those who are just as qualified, but I don’t know if that is true.”

“We don’t have a diverse campus,” said Yvette Hope, a COM sophomore. “So if [quotas] add to the diversity it would be good.”

Jason Pallante, a College of Arts and Sciences sophomore, said an increased minority presence would increase tolerance as well.

“If you have a campus [that isn’t diverse], you’ll have people grow up with that same mentality that they’re trying to get rid of,” he said.

Other students disagreed, saying the admittance of an applicant should not be based on ethnicity.

“I think [quotas] are discriminatory,” said Amy Wirburton, a School of Education sophomore. “I think people should get judged on the basis of character, not what they look like, and I think we can achieve diversity naturally if they choose applicants based on this.”

Mike Nadeau, a CAS sophomore agreed. “If they’re just filling quotas, they’re not looking at merit,” he said.