STAFF EDIT: Change For The Better

Known for its co-op programs and status as a commuter college, Northeastern University is unsatisfied with its tier-three national rankings. This is understandable when considering the academic success of surrounding universities in Boston.

In an effort to gain a higher academic standing, Northeastern recently introduced plans to attract a higher caliber of students and faculty by reorganizing its budget and increasing tuition. Included in these plans are preparations to begin construction on a new dormitory to help provide housing for the entire undergraduate student body.

Certainly, the academic prestige of Northeastern’s neighboring colleges, including Harvard University, Tufts University and Boston University, is part of the motivation behind this plan. And while these and other area schools have earned national reputations, the University of Massachusetts Boston, another large commuter school, has been working toward expansion through the aid of state funding. This puts pressure on Northeastern to provide its students with a competitive level of education.

This type of self-improvement is something many colleges, including BU, face every so often. It is an admirable goal, and one Northeastern students should benefit from. Northeastern, however, must stay true by focusing on improving its standards for the students’ benefit and not for the sake of college rankings.

The kind of project Northeastern has planned is definitely going to be a challenge. However, it is not impossible. Through fundraising and building an accomplished and well-respected faculty, the goal to attract stronger students can be easily reached. As stronger students voice their desires to attend Northeastern, the university will be able to be more selective in forming each freshman class. With this hard work will inevitably come higher national rankings.