STAFF EDIT: Serious Surveys

All Boston University students received a survey in their email boxes this week from University administration. Addressing issues such as campus life, student services and housing, the survey is aimed at gathering student opinions about different aspects of the University. This is an important bridge between the students and administration, so long as the information is taken seriously.

According to the BU Office of Enrollment, the survey has sparked change in the past, including improvements in dining services and the creation of the Student Village. Because it has been six years since the last survey of this type, it is vital that students and the administration take full advantage of its benefits.

Often times, students find it hard to voice their opinions to the administration on issues they care about. This is the perfect opportunity to speak up. The survey may have been sent out during a stressful time with midterms right before break, but more students should take the time to look over it while they relax over the next week. And the administration must take the time to listen.

The survey sent out is 21 pages long. When students put a substantial effort forth, it will definitely take some time to fill out. Therefore, the administration must take the information and act upon it to show students tangible results, as they claim they have in the past. It is crucial to avoid wasting the time of those who created it and responded to it.

However, the survey has a substantial flaw — it overlooks the Guest Policy, one of the most contentious issues between students and administrators. Currently, the Student Union is working furiously to complete a proposal for a change in the Guest Policy. If the administration omitted much of this information from the survey because it either refuses to make a change in that area or does not deem it vital enough, something must be clarified between these two groups.

Furthermore, failing to include certain information will only produce skewed results of the survey. If students cannot respond to questions regarding issues about which they feel most strongly, the survey will not be a true representative of what students want.

This survey is a good chance for administration and students to come together to share views. It can only be hoped that in the future with the advances in web-based technology, these kinds of surveys can be distributed more often. If everyone regards it with the utmost level of seriousness, the results can only be positive for the entire BU community.