Recent rash of motorcycle theft plagues Allston

Allston-Brighton police recovered three stolen motorcycles, valued at up to $600 each, and arrested the man suspected of stealing them at 2:45 a.m. last Wednesday on Corey Road in Brighton. Two patrolling officers noticed three motorcycle helmets at the edge of a driveway, which aroused suspicion due to a recent rash of motorcycle thefts in the area.

Police watched as 20-year-old Terrance Johnson of 6 Westville Terrace, Dorchester, reportedly collected the helmets and walked quickly toward a motorcycle parked at the corner of Corey and Bellivista Road. After noticing the police vehicle, Johnson allegedly turned left onto Bellivista and attempted to hide behind a group of parked cars. Police officers stopped the suspect to conduct a threshold inquiry before bringing him back to the driveway on Corey Road.

Police then spoke with the owner, who identified the helmets as well as the motorcycle, which were apparently stolen after the victim’s cellar door was forced open. Police arrested Johnson and returned the stolen property to its owner.

ASSAULT

Police responded to a call for a domestic violence dispute and assault at 120 Lake St. in Brighton around 5:30 p.m. last Saturday. According to the victim, his brother, 45-year-old Stephen J. Costello, became aggressive during a domestic dispute.

Costello allegedly spit in the victim’s face and proceeded to hold a kitchen knife to the victim’s throat threatening to stab him. The victim reportedly wrestled the knife from Costello, and immediately called the police. The victim also told officers Costello has a substance abuse problem. Costello admitted brandishing the knife, but denied holding it to the victim’s throat. Police arrested Costello and informed the victim of his rights under the Family Abuse Law.

SHOPLIFTING

Officers responded to a call for larceny and shoplifting at the Shaw’s supermarket at 1065 Commonwealth Ave. in Allston at 10 a.m. last Saturday. Shaw’s manager Anne McDonough reportedly told police the suspect, 35 year old Gregory Roth of 713 Webster St., Marshfield, intentionally concealed various items in his jacket pockets as recorded by the store’s closed-circuit surveillance cameras.

According to a police report, Roth attempted to steal items from the supermarket in the past, and had been warned never to return to that location. Police arrested Roth and brought him to District 14 for booking.

DRUG BUST

Police arrested two men and placed three under suspicion for possession of cocaine and marijuana after responding to a call from a woman at 25 Homestead St., Brockton at approximately 4:22 a.m. last Sunday. The woman told police she was being held against her will by a man who may have possessed a gun.

Upon entering the residence, police reportedly observed a small clear plastic bag containing a white powdery substance, which appeared to be cocaine, in plain sight on a serving tray. Also on the tray was a rolled-up dollar bill. Police also observed a bowl on the floor, containing a bag of what appeared to be marijuana, the report said. Police spoke with the victim, who was visibly shaken and said she felt in fear for her safety, according to the report.

Police arrested 25 year old Anthony Pierno of 15 Huss St., Lynn and Miguel Vazquez Vega, of 345 Market St., Brighton.

Under suspicion are Darragh Oldfield, Kenneth Gorman, and another man. All three suspects are in their early twenties and live at 345 Market St., Brighton.