I Agree With Senator Jacques

In an article written in The Village Voice, “The Last Candid Man, A Homophobe Hides Behind His Right to Discriminate” (October 16 – 22, 2002), Richard Goldstein (the author) points out that, “[John Silber] made sure the university rejected a request that sexual orientation be added to its anti-discrimination policy” among a slew of other homophobic comments and decisions.

What is it that Chancellor Silber has against homosexuals? Goldstein pointed out that, “In 1995, Silber’s son died of AIDS. Imagine his reaction if his son were gay. Outspoken men are not usually prone to self-examination. It’s much easier to conclude that your kid was drawn to homosexuality by a seducer, and that his practices reflected the inherent pathology of gay life, than to consider the effect of a harsh, rejecting father on a gay son’s sex life. So many men of Silber’s type can only react, when life bites them in the ass, by biting back.” Perhaps this is what Silber’s anti-gay agenda is really all about? His son?

Well, I do join Jacques in being “incredible disappointed [in Silber’s actions].” My disappointments, though including his anti-gay policies, go beyond.

I graduated from Boston University in 1998. Of the four years I spent at Boston University I was part of two groups that were discriminated against. I joined a group of peers as a hotline operator on a crisis line. Our funds were cut because the school didn’t feel there was a need for such a group. As a result, we were forced to run our operation out of a one-room closet in the basement of a Chinese Restaurant on Comm. Ave–next to a rat infested garbage dump. We weren’t provided with money for advertising because, as I recall, Silber didn’t feel the need for such a group. We couldn’t even get a meeting with him to discuss the situation. (I hope the group is still around. Sounds like some students may be in need of a listening ear.)

Two. I was discriminated when Silber and Westling decided to, mid-term, sever the services I was provided as a student with learning disabilities. The sole reason I decided to attend BU was because I would be provided with these services. Needless to say, a lawsuit ensued.

As an alumnus of BU, I feel discriminated against. This time as a gay man. After reading the multiple articles and editorials on Silber’s recent actions, I am sickened. Sickened that parents pay so much for their children to attend a university that discriminates. Sickened that the trustees of the university have tolerated Silber’s actions for 30 years. And sickened, as is Senator Jacques, that alumni would give to an institution that discriminates against even its youngest population (those at BU Academy).

One more note. After being unable to locate the anti-discrimination policy on BU’s Undergraduate Admissions’ webs site, I called to ask if there was one. Admissions directed me to Personnel’s web site (isn’t this for internal employees, not for students?). Even then, Goldstein is right, sexual orientation isn’t in the anti-discrimination policy.