First home loss ends postseason dreams

So this is how it ends.

A season that started off so promising with a No. 1 preseason conference ranking and upset wins over national powers ended last night when the Boston University men’s soccer team fell, 2-1, to the University of Hartford at Nickerson Field.

No, the season is not technically over. But last night’s loss, coupled with a 3-2 win by the State University of New York at Albany over Northeastern University, ended the Terriers’ playoff hunt as they were mathematically eliminated from the America East Tournament chase.

Maybe they peaked too early. With the toughest non-conference schedule in program history, the Terriers were forced to play teams with much more talent than the usual America East opponents. Teams like the current No. 7 University of Connecticut, previously No. 12 University of San Diego, and current No. 17 Boston College made stiff competition. After carrying the momentum from a 2-1 win over San Diego into two dominant conference wins, the Terriers hit a wall, and have gone 0-3-2 in their last five, scoring only four goals in those five games.

Maybe the lack of scoring has finally caught up with them. Even in those early-season upset wins, the Terriers didn’t exactly light up the scoreboard. In 16 games this season, only five have been decided by more than a goal. Two 3-0 wins in early October now look more like the exception rather than the rule, as the Terriers have gone back to their low-scoring ways. After pulling out more than their fair share of early-season games solely on outstanding defense, the Terriers have been unable to move the pressure up front, as the defense has finally been dented, giving up a very acceptable nine goal in the last five. The offense however, has only been able to net four in that span.

Maybe it was the high expectations. After being named the preseason favorite in the America East coaches’ poll, and climbing to a No. 9 ranking after a win against Connecticut, the BU slide began. Other than wins over two of the weaker conference teams and an impressive win over San Diego, the Terriers lost five and tied two in the ten games since the Connecticut win.

Maybe it was the absence of freshman midfielder Sedrick Chin. While one player cannot turn a season around, his presence might have changed a few of those one-goal losses into one-goal wins. Chin, who tallied two goals and an assist in his home debut against the University of Massachusetts in September, has seen limited action the rest of the season, as he has been plagued by injury. Only appearing in nine of 16 games, Chin is still fourth on the team in scoring, with seven points.

There are lots of maybes and what ifs in the Terriers’ season, and no single one of them can be blamed for the disappointing way it will end. But in a season that included perhaps the biggest win in team history, the 1-0 win over Connecticut, followed by much celebration from coaches and players, the sight of players and coaches throwing water bottles and slamming walls in the hallways of the Case Center was not something that was expected back in September.

But as they always say, “That’s why they play the games.”