BU signs pact to help curb binge drinking

In an effort to curb student binge drinking, Boston University and 47 other Massachusetts colleges signed an initiative Wednesday by the state Department of Public Health which asked schools to punish those found abusing alcohol.

This campaign comes after a national study that showed the New England area has the highest underage drinking in the country. Forty-four percent of college students report ‘binge drinking’ as well, which is defined as five alcoholic beverages in one sitting for males and four drinks in one sitting for females.

‘We don’t accept as a rite of passage the fact that some people think going to college means they should misuse alcohol,’ said BU spokesman Colin Riley.

The plan calls for the schools to compare policies and create a ‘consistent administrative response to alcohol policy violations’ for the schools involved. Other schools involved in the program are Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Tufts University, Harvard University, Northeastern University, Wellesley College and the University of Massachusetts at Boston.

BU Provost Dennis Berkey represented the university for the signing at UMass-Boston.

‘By collaborating, rather than going it on their own, institutions will share their wisdom and experience and reinforce each other’s efforts,’ Berkey said. ‘There is a strong emphasis on assessment. It’s a bit like the Weight Watchers approach regular meetings and sharing of information keeps the matter a high priority for each participant.’

According to Riley, BU already has a high set of standards in place.

‘At BU, we think we set the gold standard,’ Riley said. ‘The university standards of personal conduct substantially exceed the minimum expectations of civil law and custom. We expect more of you. You are making a serious investment in your education, and there is no need to run the risk of getting off track.’

BU also runs a variety of programs to help students avoid the problem of alcohol.

‘We have pro-active houses, a substance free spring break,’ Riley said. ‘The Wellness Center offers many activities for students.’

School of Management freshman Tim Inglis said he thought BU should not discipline students more harshly, but rather inform them about the dangers.

‘I think BU officials should be more in touch with the students,’ Inglis said. ‘They shouldn’t punish kids for drinking, but teach them more about the effects of drinking. Punishing kids won’t accomplish anything because students will just do it anyway.’