An invitation for Mr. Cavalier

I would love to write a lengthy response to Brendan Cavalier’s article “Snipers Should Get Death Penalty” but I have neither the time nor the space to handle such a complex topic. Instead, I would like to invite Mr. Cavalier and every other student interested in the Death Penalty to the College of Communication’s Great Debate this Wednesday from 6:30- 8:30pm in the Tsai center. The topic is “Should the Death Penalty be Abolished?” Speakers include four experts and two of your fellow students. There will be three speakers for abolition and three against it. I hope to hope to see you all there especially Mr. Cavalier seeing as he cares so much about the Death Penalty.

On a side note one of the speakers will be Diann Rust-Tierney director of the Capital Punishment Project of American Civil Liberties Union. Mr. Cavalier criticized the ACLU in his article “Gun prints not the answer” (8/21/02). He complained that he could not find the ACLU’s statements about the Second Amendment and Gun Control. They can be found at http://www.aclu-mass.org/archives/2ndamend.html . I highly recommend the site to anyone concerned with gun control. Sorry, it was not easier to find.

Tim Hartnett CAS ’03 Member of the ACLU