COM professors undergo makeovers for Inside Edition

Plain.

That is what some students called professor Tammy Vigil’s style before she and four other Boston University College of Communication professors were selected for complimentary makeovers, courtesy of the television show Inside Edition.

The show started filming at BU earlier this week by gathering interviews with students and culminated Friday afternoon when the professors’ new looks were unveiled in front of dozens of students and faculty members.

The professors were chosen as part of a ‘campus week’ the show is airing, which will include makeovers of the COM professors, students at Indiana University and students at other universities.

‘We do a lot of makeovers,’ said James Bogdanoff, a senior segment producer for Inside Edition. He said this segment did not have an official airdate yet, but he speculated that it would air sometime next week.

Bogdanoff said BU was chosen because of its size and notoriety.

‘It’s a large school. We wanted to have a good crowd,’ he said. ‘People knew this school.’

The five professors who were included in the makeover shoot were Professors T. Barton Carter, Nancy Day, Garland Waller, Edward Downes and Vigil. Bogdanoff said the show chose its subjects by both asking for volunteers and looking through the course catalog.

All the professors said they thought the makeover was a great experience and were excited to have been able to wear the expensive clothes they were given.

‘This is a trip, and I love being on it,’ Downes said. ‘The clothes make the man, but I could never afford these clothes.’

‘These clothes I am wearing collectively cost more than my car,’ he said.

Downes said his haircut cost close to $200, and his outfit was worth more than $1,500. Unfortunately, none of the professors were permitted to keep the clothes they wore for the show.

Carter, who wore a bright red reversible jacket as part of his ensemble, said ‘it’s different, it’s definitely a new look.’

While the changes were a shift from his normal ‘gray law-style suits,’ Carter said he would not change the clothes he wears because of the experience. He will, however, keep the new hair and beard styles.

Waller said she had two different outfits to choose from, both of which cost more than $2,000. Waller said she would like to keep up the new style, but said it is not a possibility.

‘In terms of clothing, I couldn’t possibly afford this,’ she said.

All of the professors received surprised, yet positive responses from the students for their bold new changes.

Paul Boyd, a correspondent for Inside Edition, said he enjoyed doing shows like this because it is fun for everyone involved.

‘I think seeing the look on the students’ faces was just incredible,’ he said. ‘It’s one of those stories where we don’t take ourselves too seriously. We have fun.’

Boyd also said it was a way to show a different side of the hard-working professors, and said it was a privilege to be able to give these professors a day off to treat themselves to a pampering.

‘All of them really were great sports, and they were willing to go out on the limb all in the name of good fun,’ he said.