Muse remembers one of the greats

After years as a stage actor, Harris made his movie debut in 1959’s ‘Alive and Kicking,’ and after essaying notable supporting roles in films like ‘The Guns of Navarone’ and ‘Mutiny on the Bounty,’ he was catapulted to star status after his Oscar-nominated performance in 1963’s ‘This Sporting Life.’ Unfortunately, the success of many of his films in the ’60s and ’70s was spotty, with a few exceptions, such as 1970’s ‘A Man Called Horse.’

In the 1980s, Harris’ work became more sporadic, and it wasn’t until the early ’90s that his career was again rejuvenated and he became a celebrated character actor. He received another Oscar nomination for ‘The Field,’ and went on to play memorable roles in films such as ‘Unforgiven’ and ‘Patriot Games.’ His more recent roles have solidified his status as a great character actor, and even viewers who don’t know his name can probably recognize his piercing eyes and gaunt face, which seems to suggest this is a man who has been through it all.

Perhaps he had been. Harris was also a singer, a rugby player and, until he quit in the early ’80s, a notorious drinker. If all the stories are any indication, he was just as passionate and wild off screen, if not more so, than in even his most fiery performances.

With the new ‘Harry Potter’ movie right around the corner, here’s to remembering Richard Harris for that and much more. As a gifted actor of stage and screen and as a lively, interesting character in life, he will be missed.