Yale, Stanford end early decision

In surprise announcements last week, Stanford University and Yale University independently decided to abolish early decision applications to their schools and replace them with early action applications, a decision that will take some pressure off high school seniors deciding what college to attend.

‘We have been deeply concerned about the tremendous pressures that talented young people face as they apply to colleges like Stanford,’ said John Hennesy, president of Stanford University, in a recent press release. ‘This new policy offers those who have set their hearts on attending Stanford the opportunity to apply early in their senior year, without the additional pressure of having to commit before they are ready.’

‘We heard from counselors, students and parents that there was too much pressure and we wanted to respond to that,’ said Marcela Muniz, assistant dean of admissions at Stanford.

Many selective schools and colleges use early decision applications, allowing high school seniors to apply in the fall of their senior year. In the past, students who applied early decision were bound to attend the school that accepted them.

‘Early decision programs help colleges more than applicants,’ said Yale President Richard C. Levin in a press release.

In the new system, which will affect college students accepted to the class of 2008, applicants can apply early and have until May to make a commitment. They may not submit any other early applications to other schools.

This stipulation is in violation with rules enforced by The National Association for College Admission Counseling, which says students may apply to as many schools early as they want.

‘Yale’s move to non-binding early admissions is good news for college-bound seniors and the college admissions process,’ said Harvard University President Lawrence Summers in a statement released in response to Yale’s announcement.

‘Eliminating binding early decision makes the process less pressured and more open and fairer for more students.’ Harvard abolished early decision applications a few years ago.

Changing the policy may change the number of applicants in either direction, but ‘yield rates did not enter into the decision-making process,’ Muniz said.

Boston University, which still has early decision applications, has no plans to abolishing the program, but does not urge students to use it either, according to spokesman Colin Riley.

BU receives fewer than 500 early decision applications each year, a significantly lower number than the 28,000 applications during the regular decision process in January.

‘[Yale and Stanford’s] actions are consistent with our philosophy in that we don’t urge students to apply early as a response to peer pressure or competitiveness,’ Riley said. ‘Early decision is seen as an option for those really focused students who are insistent that it’s offered.’