Article I never meant to read

I just finished reading the article in the 11/13 issue of the Daily Free Press about the death penalty and as a result of it my brain hurts. Not only was that the most poorly argued idea in the history of human communication, but it seemed as if a nine year old who was high from sniffing glue wrote it. First, the death penatly is good, but I’ll get to that in a second. My favorite, and of course by favorite I mean aneurism inducing, part of the article is this:”The death penalty system in the United States is not only wrong, it also is filled with errors.” Well what do you know!! Something you consider to be wrong, filled with errors. From a logic point of view it makes sense. As far as sounding like a coherent well thought out sentence…not so much. Now, about that death penalty issue we all get so worked up about. The point was made, that we just want to remove these people from society. Ummm…..yeah that’s the idea. Wait…you used a sniper rifle to kill innocent people?…no death penalty for you…here have a candy bar, you’ll go to NYC, we’ll put you on Leno and with the same sympathy we show these crazy terrorists, we’ll let you tell YOUR Story. NOOO!!! Obviously, if a man finds the need to go on a killing spree because his ex-wife doesn’t like him, he SHOULD be removed from society. I know from reading this paper that it expresses liberal views and like that other guy said, it probably won’t publish things that have contrasting opinions such as mine. However, I will give you this: The justice system in this country has a great deal of issues it has to work out before even coming close to being efficient. Yet we also have to understand that every system has its flaws. Let me ask you this. If the sniper had picked off your mother in the back of the head while she was on her way home carrying groceries, would you still be so sympathetic? You people always criticize the capital punishment policy this country has, but you never offer any alternatives. Should we give him a condo in Miami and let him live under house arrest? This man took away other people’s rights. Their right to walk the street and feel safe. He took their lives and now he HAS to pay. Whether he rots in a cell for four decades or is executed, the end result is the same; he is removed from society and then he dies. One just takes longer. Josh Eskow jeskow19@bu.edu CAS 05′