Open Screen for film and video makers

Dear Sir/Madam, I am writing to inform you about one of Boston’s newest film and video events. Please consider running the following press release in the Daily Free Press. If you are unable to do so would it be possible to list our informaiton in any calendar space you might have. I urge the Press to cover the next Open Screen on Monday, Nov. 18. We would be happy to supply an updated press release should there be interest. Sincerely yours, Nina Farouk

Date: November 11, 2002

Attn: Editor Daily Free Press Contacts: Joanna Jefferson, (617) 962-7725 Nina Farouk, (617) 794-5746 showyourmovie@hotmail.com

LOCAL FILMMAKERS SHOW WORK AT “OPEN SCREEN” EVENT

Last month, a group of nine Boston University film and video production grads hosted the first “Open Screen” event at the Zeitgeist Gallery in Inman Square (Cambridge). Similar to an open-mic format, “Open Screen” encourages local film and video makers to walk-in with their work for public exhibition. “We want to contribute to Boston’s network of independent film venues and hopefully provide a supportive environment for all views and perspectives expressed via the moving image.”

At their debut event, audiences screened a wide variety of works from nine different artists, from silent film to documentary excerpts. “Open Screen was a well-organized film event in a cozy gallery,” says audience member, Jennifer Falk. “The films ranged in subject matter from the humorous to the obscure. You just didn’t know what you were going to see next! It was a great way to spend Monday night.”

“The humble atmosphere of the Zeitgeist fit the spirit of the evening,” says Will Cheever, who was also in attendance. “Film lovers from all around the area gathered closely. It’s casual, it’s new, and it’s not something you would see in any other setting.”

Open Screen is held every third Monday (at the Zeitgeist Gallery—1353 Cambridge St. in Inman Square) from 8:00pm to 10:00pm (film sign-ups begin at 7:30pm) and encourages all local film and video makers, regardless of experience, to participate. “If your movie is less than seven minutes, we’ll show it!” The next event is scheduled for this Monday, November 18th at 8:00pm. For more information about the event, please send an e-mail to showyourmovie@hotmail.com.

########

(color photos are available if requested)