BU’s failure at providing accurate information on Islam

It is very unfortunate that in today’s society, where claims of global progress and intellectual advancements are made, that strong residues of ignorance can prominently be seen. It is especially disconcerting to see such at a university, especially one of Boston University’s caliber, where intellect based on proof and evidence are supposed to be the building foundation of the institution. As the executive board of the Islamic Society at Boston University we are particularly disturbed not only by the recent opinions that have been published in the Daily Free Press that present lies about Islam, but also by the academic endeavors of spreading such baseless lies through inviting speakers who advocate and disseminate misinformation about Islam. As students at this university, it speaks to us on the scholarly insight of this institution and brings up questions of the degree of open-mindedness of this university. As academics, we thoroughly encourage discourse within all fields and subject matters, but to allow clear fabrications about a major world religion to be presented to a greater audience in fact opposes the basic principles of academia which advocate the learning and application of authentic, well-founded truths and facts. In order to fill the gap of information on Islam, we are presently holding Islamic Awareness Week with tables in the GSU link all this week and an open dinner on Monday November 25 at 5 pm in Metcalf Hall. We invite all of you to research and learn the truth about Islam, based on valid, credible sources, with the higher aim of seeking knowledge and advocating the spreading and application of the truth, as is not only just, but the reason we are here as university students.

Respectfully, The Islamic Society at Boston University’s Executive Board: Salman Shazeeb, President Mona Rahmani, Vice President Khurram Bajwa, Treasurer Hanan Al-Awadhi, Secretary