Union looks for all-night study lounges

Weeks after the Student Union helped to make unprecedented changes to the guest policy, it is now in the process of forming a new committee to look into the possibility of a 24-hour study location on campus, an aspect not mentioned in the guest policy changes.

The committee, which is in the early stages of development, will be focused on examining the availability of a 24-hour study location on campus, according to Union Vice President of Residence Life Sumit Mittal.

Currently, the committee is comprised of the executive board vice presidents, as well as Union President Ethan Clay. Mittal also said the committee plans to have one senator from each of the Union’s existing committees.

The group plans to focus on problems associated with a 24-hour study area, including problems with its location and student accessibility. Mittal said the group would look into getting the 24-hour study locations at individual residence halls. Clay said the issue had importance in many areas of the BU community.

‘The Student Union believes this is not only a safety issue or a residence life issue, but an academic issue,’ Clay said during the meeting.

The new committee will be different from the ad-hoc ‘University Perspectives’ committee created last year to bring about the guest policy changes. Mittal said they plan to including Boston University administrators in the decision-making processes.

‘The difference between the committees is that this committee will have administration,’ he said. ‘This time it will be quicker. They will know what we are doing.’

The Union also discussed upcoming events at last night’s meeting, including tomorrow’s Dean’s Luncheon. Chancellor John Silber, Provost Dennis Berkey and the deans of all the colleges at BU will participate in the third-ever luncheon. Approximately two dozen students were also chosen to attend the event through an application process, according to Union VP of Public Relations Frances Cosico.

Cosico said the luncheon is ‘a way for students to honor our administration.’

The Union’s Residence Life committee, the Boston University Police Department and Buildings and Grounds will also survey the BU campus for safety problems Wednesday during the annual ‘safety walk,’ starting at Sleeper Hall.

After holding the request from last week when senators requested more information on the event from the club, the Union approved a $1,200 funding request from the Islamic Society of BU.

The Union voted numerous times on the funding request, having come up with a number of votes inconsistent with the number of senators who were present last night. The request was approved after three votes before Senate Chairman Joel Fajardo realized the request needed a two-thirds majority to pass.

After acknowledging the problem, Fajardo took two more votes and made sure an accurate vote was taken. The $1,200 allocation is the maximum amount the Union can allocate to an organization.

After tonight’s allocation, the Senate has approximately $8,800 left in its current budget to distribute to student groups, according to figures provided by Fajardo at the meeting.