Bringing pedestrian safety to the fore

Here at BU, pedestrian safety is often taken for granted and easily jeopardized. More than three pedestrians per day are hit by motor vehicles in the city of Boston. In fact, there were two pedestrians and one cyclist hit on the BU campus within a recent two week period.

As students on an urban, pedestrian-heavy campus, we are responsible for our own personal safety. The best defense against street accidents is common sense. You’ve all heard the following advice before, but it is easy to forget when rushing to class or racing to catch the T. Look both ways before crossing streets. Cross at intersections. Don’t cross between parked vehicles. Don’t run across the street for the train.

Pedestrian safety is a two-way street. Drivers also bear significant responsibility for the welfare of pedestrians. Be cautious behind the wheel, and keep your fellow BU community members safe on our streets. Envision Commonwealth Avenue in front of the School of Management between the hours of noon and 2 p.m. Hoards of people are dodging cars, cyclists, roller bladers and trains. The risks should be obvious. The results can be devastating.

With cold, slick weather moving in and the night falling earlier in the day, please remain aware of the many hazards around Boston. Walk with friends after nightfall and use common sense. If your safety is ever put at risk, please remember to just flip your Terrier card to find the BUPD contact information: 617-353-2121.

Our success is reflected in your continued safety.