No need to be condescending

It’s really unfortunate when a person or group can no longer accept any constructive criticism or critique. While it is unfathomable to be unhappy or make a bad at Boston University, it seems attacking those rare dissenters is the norm. With the overall lack of campus unity, it seems when students actually venture out to join an organization ego inflation occurs.

We don’t know how or why, but some of this school’s and many other schools’ most active students find it necessary to ride a higher horse than the rest, taking no dissension from the rank and file attitude the accepts that more clubs, more As and more service equals more worth and more right. And of course in our dogmatic world, representatives of those horseman can come and with of wave of their hand, make all that was pointed out by Miss Kelly fade into the shadows. Or so they think.

Here are some actual facts about the tours we thought we would include since our host friends forgot to mention any: Steve has spent his years at Boston University working with BU offices simply because he needs the work (sorry if that makes him less of a person). He’s heard from numerous freshman parents that Presidents Hosts have told them things that we completely untrue. He has been asked, ‘If Warren Towers is an all freshman dorm, why can’t my child live there?’

Do you remember tour guides telling you about the amazing diversity on a campus that includes few men and fewer people of color? Did they, or are they now mentioning the anti-gay undertones expressed by the administration? When parents ask about safety on campus, do they talk about the rape that occurred at Loretto Hall several years back or the incident at West Campus involving possible legal action against the school?

For all their genuine enthusiasm, P-hosts are glorified sales associates for BU. They have been trained to walk backward and share the features and benefits of a BU education because prospective students should make informed decisions about their futures. True, there is a fine line between overt lies and lies of omission, and I’m not saying these tours should make our school look bad. If I hated BU, I wouldn’t be shuffling along Commonwealth Avenue with the rest of the masses. But just because we won’t get down on my knees for big bad BU doesn’t mean we’re an awful people.