Women’s hoops hosts Vanderbilt

The Boston University women’s basketball team opens its 2002-2003 season Saturday when it faces perennial national powerhouse Vanderbilt University at Case Gymnasium.

For what promises to be one of the toughest games in Terrier basketball history, Vanderbilt heads in to the contest ranked in the top 10 in most national polls and is led by All-American center, senior Chantelle Anderson. Averaging more than 20 points per game last season, Anderson is expected by many to contest for Player of the Year honors this year.

The Terriers have been practicing hard for months in preparation for this game and are eager to make a name for BU women’s basketball.

‘We’ve been thinking about this the entire season since last year basically,’ senior guard Alison Argentieri said.

So have the coaches, focusing largely on how to contain Anderson down low. And while BU Coach Margaret McKeon admits to have some tricks up her sleeve, the Terrier defense will have a similar look as it has always had. This means the burden of containing Anderson falls on the junior center Amparo Lopez and the rest of the BU frontcourt. At 6 feet, 5 inches tall, Lopez has the size necessary to combat the Vanderbilt star, but as junior forward Marisa Moseley points out, she won’t be alone.

‘We’re playing our normal defense, we’re helping down a little with our guards but pretty much we’re just trying to be more intense, and to smash the boards hard,’ Moseley said.

Team depth will be a bonus for the Terriers, who plan on playing their intense, fast-break style for all 40 minutes.

‘We’re a running team and that’s our mentality, to try and get out on the break every time and score quick baskets in transition,’ Moseley added.

In half-court sets, the Terriers are looking to take advantage of their athletic frontcourt, namely Moseley, sophomore forward Larissa Parr and junior forward Adrienne Norris.

Outside shooting will be key with Anderson lurking down low, and the Terriers are confident that they will knock down the shots if they can get any open looks.

‘Three-point shooting is going to be big, and … I think our point guard spot is going to have an opportunity to have a big game for us.’

One of the point guards McKeon is expecting big things from is Argentieri, who understands what her role will be, as well as the roles of fellow point guards freshman Rachael Vanderwal and junior Courtney Jones.

‘Anderson’s a huge presence down low, but I guess they don’t play a ton of defense up top so we’re going to have to make shots all over the court,’ Argentieri said.

BU is going to have to be on top of all aspects of its game if it wants to upset the Commodores, but the Terriers are confident that they will show their fans as well as the rest of the country that they are for real.

‘We want to find out what we’re capable of doing against the nation’s best,’ McKeon said.