Allston-Brighton Food Pantry Distibutes over 400 Thanksgiving Baskets

Allston-Brighton Food Pantry Distributes Over 400 Thanksgiving Baskets with the help of Community and Boston University Volunteers

Boston, MA – November 26, 2002 – On Saturday, November 16, 2002, the Allston-Brighton Food Pantry distributed food baskets to 482 families in need of a healthy Thanksgiving dinner. Community volunteers and Boston University joined forces to distribute the baskets. Student volunteers invited two acapella groups and a juggling club from Boston University to create a warm and comfortable atmosphere while waiting for the baskets.

Volunteers prepared food baskets in advance on Friday and distributed them from 10 AM until 3 PM on Saturday, November 16th. The baskets included a whole turkey and enough fixings to create a plentiful Thanksgiving dinner for the family.

“I am grateful that so many of the volunteers and members of the community came together to provide food for those in need for the holiday season,” said Craig Mack, Director of the Allston-Brighton Food Pantry.

About the Allston-Brighton Food Pantry The Allston-Brighton Food Pantry is located in the basement of the Brighton Evangelical Congregational Church on 404 Washington Street in Brighton. Since 1979, the Allston-Brighton Food Pantry has provided its community with nutritious meals and food baskets. Every Wednesday night at 6:00 PM a community supper is served to local residents at the Allston-Brighton Congregational Church. Food baskets are distributed on the second and fourth Saturdays of the month. These baskets include beans, soup, canned fruits and vegetables, tuna, peanut butter, pasta, rice, macaroni and cheese, dry milk and hot and cold cereals. For families with children, the baskets also contain baby food, snacks and candy.

About Boston University’s Student Food Rescue Student Food Rescue is a food salvage program sponsored by the Boston University Community Service Center. Students deliver donated food to local shelters and pantries. Student Food Rescue also sends volunteers to the Allston-Brighton Food Pantry every Wednesday for the weekly Community Supper and helps to prepare and distribute food baskets on Saturday mornings. Student volunteers work to raise awareness about local hunger issues and provide food to those in need in the Greater Boston Area.

About Boston University’s Community Service Center The Boston University Community Service Center is a sixteen-year old organization dedicated to improving the greater Boston area, as well as participating in community service programs along the east coast. Last year, 1,000 plus student volunteers participated in over 53,000 hours of service through ten different service programs, impacting numerous issues including literacy, citizenship and child welfare. Visit www.bu.edu/csc for further details.

###

NOTE: Please feel free to publish my email address (debbie.hatfield@hotmail.com) in case your readers are interested in making a donation to the Allston-Brighton Food Pantry.

Best, Debbie Hatfield PR for Allston-Brighton Food Pantry