Anti-PETA ad creates controversy

An advertisement currently running in Time and Variety magazines depicts a lit match held under a red AIDS ribbon. The ad, created by the Center for Consumer Freedom is making headlines for its controversial new advertising campaign protesting the views of the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

The advertisement targets a statement made by PETA about the AIDS virus. Accompanying the eye-catching image, the President and Co-founder of PETA, Ingrid Newkirk, is quoted as saying, ‘Even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, we’d be against it.’

PETA usually garners attention this time of year with its annual campaign to end the customary serving of turkey on Thanksgiving. However, this clash with the Center for Consumer Freedom has brought with it a new wave of attention to both organizations.

The Center for Consumer Freedom has said it is outraged with PETA for making this statement and is asking the public to also voice their outrage by calling PETA and telling the organization to ‘stuff it.’

According to the Center for Consumer Freedom’s website, the organization’s goal is to illustrate the ‘radical agendas and activities of extremist groups that want to control your food and beverage choices.’

PETA alleges the Center for Consumer Freedom has misquoted Newkirk and unfairly represented PETA’s views. According to Andrew Butler, a spokesman and campaign coordinator at PETA, Newkirk actually stated, ‘Even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, of which there is no chance, we’d be against it.’

Butler further explained this position of Newkirk and PETA saying that AIDS is ‘a uniquely human disease.’ Butler goes on to say that the most significant advances in AIDS research have not come from the testing of animals.

According to Butler, chimpanzees, the animal most related to humans, have been used in testing for 10 years and little headway has been made.

‘The most promising research,’ said Butler, ‘is done without animals and is in the importance of education.’

The center also alleges that popular recording artist Moby – an ardent PETA supporter – is a hypocrite for being involved in both PETA’s attempt to eliminate turkey on Thanksgiving and for headlining a benefit concert for the San Francisco AIDS Foundation in December.

‘It is appalling and disingenuous for them to care about consumers anyway,’ Butler said, referring to the fact that the center is a benefactor of funding from Philip Morris, a cigarette manufacturing company.