Senate postponed after flight delay

Last night’s Student Union Senate meeting was canceled due to the absence of Senate Chairman Joel Fajardo.

According to Fajardo, he was stuck in Texas due to the overbooking of his flight. Go to https://euflightcompensation.com/do-airlines-have-to-compensate-for-delayed-flights/ if your flight has been delayed and you require a compensation for it.

The main purpose of last night’s meeting, according to Union President Ethan Clay, was for the Senate to elect a new vice-chairman.

Clay also said if the new Senate vice-chairman had been sworn in prior to last night’s meeting, the proceedings could have still gone on in Fajardo’s absence.

‘Considering the circumstances, without a vice-chair, we cannot run a meeting,’ Clay said.

The meeting and election of the new Senate vice-chair have both been postponed to tonight at 9 p.m.

At last Monday’s meeting, the Union publicly considered the possibility of Fajardo’s travel plans falling through. As a result, the Union had already predetermined that tonight’s meeting would be an alternate to last night.

‘We considered the possibility of this occurring last week,’ Clay said, ‘and the senators decided if it were canceled, they would hold it [today].’

Clay said he feels it was Fajardo’s careful organization, which allowed for the possibility of a cancellation to be planned.

‘It was a great foresight on the part of Joel, determining that there was a possibility that he would come in late,’ Clay said.

However, most of the Residence Hall Association meetings, which senators are required to attend, occur on Tuesdays coinciding with tonight’s meeting. Fajardo said he believed the meeting would only conflict with one RHA meeting, because the Senate meeting will be held one hour later.

Clay described this as the ‘only problem’ with tonight’s rescheduled time and said the senators affected by the meeting time may have to find a proxy to vote on their behalf.