Terriers host Central Connecticut

The Boston University women’s basketball team looks to get its first win of the season tonight when it hosts Central Connecticut State University at Case Gymnasium.

The Terriers have been plagued by poor shooting so far this year, something BU Coach Margaret McKeon says must be corrected in order for BU to return to last season’s winning form.

‘We’ve been shooting 34 percent [from the field], 25 percent from behind the three-point line, and we’re a much better shooting basketball team than that,’ McKeon said. ‘I would like for us to shoot up in the high 40s, low 50s, and I think we’re capable of that.’

Two players who will be huge factors in the Terriers’ search for shooting help are senior guard Alison Argentieri and junior guard Courtney Jones, who will split time at the point guard position after the injury to freshman standout Rachael Vanderwal. Jones and Argentieri have both proven themselves capable of knocking down shots. Jones led the Terriers in three-point percentage a year ago, shooting 39.6 percent, and Argentieri led the team in three-pointers made with 44.

While hitting outside shots is important for BU, McKeon would also like to see the team attack the basket and get some opportunities from the foul line. The Terriers should have chances for easy baskets in transition because of their tough pressure defense.

‘We’re creating turnovers and getting a lot more steals than we ever have, but we have to try to make it a little tougher [for the opposition],’ McKeon said.

Luckily for BU, they face a Central Connecticut team that has similar offensive woes, shooting a meager 33.3 percent from the field. Earlier this year, the Blue Devils lost badly to the Terriers’ cross-town rival Northeastern University, 62-29. Central Connecticut is riding high, however, after a 62-32 pounding of Lamar University on Nov. 30.

Forward Kim Boone leads the Blue Devils in scoring at 7.7 points per game, and is a part of a balanced team that has 12 players averaging more than nine minutes of playing time per game. The Central Connecticut has had success on the boards this year, out-rebounding its opponents by two rebounds a game.

This is an area of concern for McKeon and the Terriers.

‘We have to contest everything and rebound the basketball, and hopefully offensively make shots,’ McKeon said.

The Terriers will be without Vanderwal, junior center Amparo Lopez, and freshman guard Katie Meinhardt, who are all sidelined with injuries. Since all three did not see any action for the Terriers last year, BU will have an experienced team for tonight’s game.

McKeon has seen her upperclassmen come through in the past, and is counting on them to provide the Terriers with a boost that will hopefully turn around what has been a disappointing season.

‘Right now we’re counting on our veterans, and they’ve had a lot of playing experience and they need to show up and get it done,’ McKeon said.