From one Jew to another: the holiday season isn’t that bad – just enjoy it

Where’s the pride, Elliot Levy? So what if everything is decorated for Christmas, Chanukah isn’t even that big of a deal in the Jewish religion (‘It’s hard to be a Jew on Christmas,’ Dec. 3, pg. 7). The best thing that us Jews can do in the holiday season is sit back and enjoy it.

We don’t have to feel the pressures of endless shopping and preparing for 20 of our closest family members to stay at our house. Instead, we get to enjoy the great sales and festive events at a more relaxed pace, courtesy of our Christian friends. Also, Christmas is nothing to feel ostracized about, us Jews have developed our own tradition it’s called going out to eat at a Chinese restaurant and then to a movie. If you ever feel lonely on Christmas again, these are two places you will always find companionship.

And as for commercialism, what can you do? It’s all about what you make of the season. We live in a pretty materialistic society, but that doesn’t mean you have to take the holidays to be a purely economic venture. People are allowed to exchange gifts and care about their family and friends also. No matter if you celebrate Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanzaa or whatever else, the holidays are a good time of year and most people are in better spirits … so why not take advantage? Happy Holidays!