Pijerov needs to do his homework

In his letter on December 3, 2002 (“Title IX a phony excuse for end to football”), Anthony Pijerov, aside from his low-level cracks at COM, made the following statement: “Perhaps instead of criticizing others for not ‘doing their homework,’ you should do yours.” I suggest Pijerov do the same.

When he says “As for the football team’s performance, it is not as cut and dry as Mr. DeVita would like it to seem.” While it is true that the football team wasn’t solely cut for performance reaons, Pijerov goes on to assert that “attendance shouldn’t really be a factor” in cutting football. Okay, let me get this straight: you’ve got a losing team with paltry attendance at best. That’s not enough? Okay add in the football team’s monstrous budget, lack of alumni support, and constant red ink. Now it makes much more sense.

Finally, Pijerov says, “BU has no fight song.” As a BU senior who supposedly writes authoritatively on the strategic decisions of the BU Department of Athletics, I’m alarmed that he obviously hasn’t been to a hockey or soccer game — events at which the BU Band plays “Go BU” (aka our fight song). Yes, Mr. Pijerov, as you state, “perhaps instead of criticizing others for not ‘doing their homework,’ you should do yours.”

Oh, by the way, if you plan to disparage other schools, I suggest you brush up on your grammar. Over at COM (and in the rest of the free world) we say “cut and dried.”

W. Scott Monty CAS ’92, GSM/MED ’96