She said Animal House wasn’t funny!

I am writing regarding Stephanie Sheen’s review of “Student Body Shots.”

I would like to start of by complimenting Ms. Sheen on her proclivity for factual errors – it’s really quite impressive. Rider Strong did not play Eric on Boy Meets World – he played Shawn. Though some of the book’s jokes may not apply to all BU students, the book contains no unexplained Columbia references. “It’s funny because it’s true” has been around a LOT longer than the Simpsons. And nobody thought that “Deuce Bigalow, Male Gigolo” was a good idea.

As an author and comedian, I am constantly trying to understand what people consider humor. And I’m not always sure if I’m funny. But Animal House was funny. And American Pie was funny. I’ve never seen Van Wilder, but if someone puts me in the same company as those first two movies, I’ve no choice but to thank them.

And to Ms. Sheen, I ask you, what is funny? Is it weekend delays cause by all the construction on the B? Is it pedestrians never waiting for the light to change at Packard’s Corner? Or is it contributing writers using their few inches of column space to lambaste the work of others without having the balls to put their own into the world?

To me, that last one is hysterical. But what do I know? I enjoyed Animal House.

Steve Hofstetter Author, Student Body Shots